|For Immediate Release
July 7, 2009
FFI Contact: Matt Carrothers
Director of Media Relations
Professionals with licensing inquiries should contact
the Professional Licensing Boards at 478-207-2440
Actions Taken by the Georgia State Board of Barbers at its July 6 Meeting
Macon, Ga.—The Georgia State Board of Barbers met via teleconference on Monday, July 6, 2009.
The Board voted to approve the NIC Barber Examination I to include the following content areas:
- Core Domain Services
- Set Up and Client Protection
- Shaving with a Straight Razor
- Basic Facial
- Blow Drying
- Thermal Curling
The Board voted to approve the following rule changes:
- 70-2-.02, Required Inspections and Licensing. Amended: Redefines the requirement for pre-license inspections and retention of licenses for schools.
- 70-2-.03, License to Operate a School, Ownership, or Relocation. Amended: Includes the requirement for application for a new school license to include change in ownership or expansion of the school. It also changes the requirements for student kits, gives guidance on when to increase the number of instructors, and gives requirements for maintaining student records and submitting student transcripts to the Board. Schools which are closing shall also notify the Board within 30 days of closure. There is also terminology in the rule which has been amended.
- 70-2-.04, Application for Teacher License: Terms in the rule were updated.
- 70-2-.06, Application for Student License: Number is reserved for later use.
- 70-2-.07, Application for Apprentice License. Amended: Requires that each time an apprentice change master barber supervisors or shops, he/she must submit a new application. Also, master barbers supervising apprentices shall submit written transcripts of apprentice hours to the board within three days of termination of an apprenticeship. Master barber will also be required to maintain copies of apprentice hours for at least five years. Verbage within the rule was also clarified.
- 70-2-.08, The main feature is to clarify verbage and omit paragraph 4 which is covered in another rule.
- 70-2-.09, Application for Licensure by Endorsement/Reciprocity. Amended: Requires that applicants for licensure by reciprocity submit a verification/certification of licensure in the state they are reciprocating from.
- 70-2-.11, Posting of Licenses, Laws and Rules, and Inspection Reports in Schools. Amended: Requires that all master licenses and barber instructor licenses or current online verifications of license be posted in a prominent place for public view on school premises. Also, school licenses and most recent inspection reports must be posted in a prominent place for public view. Also, barber sanitation/disinfection regulations shall be placed in a prominent place for public view; and, each school shall make available a current copy of the laws and rules for the Georgia State Board of Barbers.
- 70-3-.01, Barber School Equipment: Requirements are updated.
- 70-3-.03, Barber Instructor Training Curriculum. Amended: Amends the barber instructor training curriculum.
- 70-4-.01, Facilities: Updates the requirements for barber facilities.
- 70-4-.02, Use of Facility for Home Shop: Updates the requirements for home barber shops.
- 70-4-.03, Facilities (shops). Amended: Amends the physical requirements for a barber facility (shop).
- 70-4-.04, Cleanliness. Amended: Requires that all equipment must be kept in good, safe working condition.
- 70-4-.05, Plumbing, Hot and Cold Water: Requires that each facility have plumbing connected to a municipal sewage system or properly designed and constructed individual sewage system approved by the city, county, or state health department and an adequate supply of hot and cold running water in accordance with recognized health standards. Also, shops licensed after the date of the adoption of this rule revision are required to have a sink separate from the restroom sink in which to clean implements and perform other barbering services.
- 70-4-.06, Apprentices: Clarifies the rule for training apprentices.
- 70-4-.07, Employment of Cosmetology Licensees in Barber Shops. Amended: Clarifies the license types which may work in a barber shop.
- 70-4-.08, Posting of Licenses, Rules and Inspection Reports: Clarifies language within the rule with regard to posting licenses, rules and inspection reports.
- 70-5-.01, Shampoo Equipment. Amended: Clarifies language regarding sanitation of shampoo bowls.
- 70-5-.02, Linens. Amended: Adds that clean towels must be kept in a closed container or closet, except those that are designated to be used on current patrons.
- 70-5-.03, Sterilization. Amended: Rule adds that hands must be properly cleansed and sanitized prior to servicing each patron.
- 70-5-.04, Waste, Garbage and Trash: Adds that each facility must be free from stale food and soiled dishes.
- 70-5-.05, Reserved: Rule number is reserved for future use.
- 70-5-.08, Recommended Cleaning and Disinfection of Implements. Amended: This rule updates the recommended cleaning and disinfection of implements.
The Georgia State Board of Barbers will hold its next meeting Monday, August 31, 2009 at 9:00 a.m. at the Professional Licensing Boards in Macon.